Saturday, September 13, 2008

Typical Weekend

So I haven't posted in a while, thanks to Susan for egging me on...

This was a typical weekend for us.

Friday's I try to have an activity with the kids, since Dito doesn't have homework. This Friday while Dito stayed at Dalat playing with his friends, I went with Mati to my friend Anna's house. It was very nice and relaxed. I have made good friends with Mati's friends' moms. Anna is from the US, Christian and part of WY-WAM a Christian Missionary group here. Her daughter Abby is in Mati's class. Brandi is also American, although she lived several years in the Marshall islands before coming here. Her husband is the elementary principal at Dalat. She has 3 daughters, all blond and beautiful. Lydia, is Chinese-Malaysian, and one of my better friends. Her husband Poh is a business man who travels all of Asia to sell computers. Their daughter Rachel is a little China doll, and one of Mati's better friends. At the ripe age of 5, she takes tap, hip-hop, Math Monkeys, and violin classes! Jess, is from South Korea. So nice!, and the mother of two boys - Woo Jin -- Mati's first love, and a little baby who just started walking. Her husband works for Samsung, I think or Sanyo. Somehow, with our kids of every race and culture and nationality and religion, we really get along very nicely. I enjoyed my afternoon.



I didn't bring my camera with me to Anna's, but you can see some of the people in these pictures I took at Dalat. Anna is to my right, and Jess is on the end to my left, and Lydia is down left, hugging Rachel.

Saturday, we were up early, and headed for our favorite weekend breakfast spot -- Coffee Bean, the only place in Malaysia where you can get a bagel--one flavor, poppy seed. But, beggars can't be choosers, we eat there every weekend! I am addicted to the Caramel Ice Blended...similar to Starbucks Frapies, but better, IMO. Afterwards, Fernando & Dito headed for golf lessons, ...there is an indoor driving range on the 5th floor of the mall, while Mati & I had our nails done...what fun!

Then, we headed to another mall (almost everything is located in these two high rise Malls -- Island Plaza & Gurney Plaza) From weekly food shopping, to my hair salon & gym, to the book store, stationary store, movie theatre, Kid's Indoor Playground, coffee shops, restaurants, and even the Chili's, everything is located in the one mall. I sometimes go to the same mall 2 or 3 times in one day.

So at Gurney, they just opened one of the latest crazes... they call it Doctor Fish. This is where you go to a place that looks like a Japanese restaurant, where you sit on the floor. But rather than sitting cross legged, you actually dangle your bare feet into a fish aquarium, where these tiny little fish start nibbling away at the skin on the bottom of your feet. So the four of us sat at the table, and we ordered drinks, and for 30 minutes had our feet exfoliated by live fish. It was hilarious, and ticklish! They have another tank with larger fish (about 4 or 5 inches) that you can also use, but those made me feel like I was being eaten alive! It didn't hurt, but still, the fish were schooling around me.

Tomorrow we'll be up early since Fernando reads at 8:30 am Mass at Immaculate Conception Church and then we'll eat a local breakfast ... Roti Canai (pronounced Chanai). .. It is a delicious Indian bread (kinda a cross between a pita bread and a croissant) that you dip in yellow curry sauce and it is just DELICIOUS!

So that's a typical weekend for us ... Oh, I almost forgot, not so typical, last night we had a rat inside our house...well, my kids said it was a rat, but it looked more like a cross between a treeshrub squirrel and a little mouse. It was dark gray, with a pointed nose, about 5 inches long, with a 4 inch tail. It was low to the ground, and tiny ears, not big ears like a rat. At any rate, it was a rodent, and INSIDE our house. It obviously had gotten caught inside our house by accident, and was running back and forth trying to get out. Obviously, we have become quite accustomed to wild animals, because no one in our family paid it any attention whatsoever. When it ran towards the door, I was about to open the door for it to escape, when it easily slid under the closed door!!!! Obviously, there is a larger space there then we realized! This is particularly concerning as just last week we had a poisonous green pit viper snake coiled up on my son's bike, just outside that very same door. I think I'll be calling my landlord about that on Monday!



No comments: