Thursday, January 24, 2008

Pulmonary Embolism???

January 24 2008
When I was in Florida over the holidays, I wasn't feeling well, kind of down, with low energy, sleeping alot, and not very talkative or really wanting to see anyone... so sorry if I offended anyone, or seemed unfriendly...I attributed this to jet lag, and regular stress and being overtired.

On my flight from Miami to Denver (Jan 4), I fainted while in line for the restroom. I hit my head hard on the emergency door, and was going in and out of consciousness for then next 90 minutes until the airplane landed and the ambulence took me to the emergency room of U of CO medical center. After an EKG, blood tests, and basic neurological tests, etc they found nothing wrong other than a concussion from the fall, and again I attributed the fainting to dehydration, low blood pressure (which I've always had) etc...

After I returned to Penang, I continued to be very tired with low energy. Finally, last Monday I started having chest pains, and feeling worse. I went to the hospital, after a million tests that were all perfectly fine, they were ready to send me home. But the doctor thought better of it, and did an ECHO and found that I had an enlarged right ventrical and pulminonary artery ... a clear indication of having suffered a Pulmonary Embolism on one of my flights. In short, that is when blood clots that form most probably in the legs due to inactivity, travel up to the lungs, blocking the oxygen flow.

Thank God, they found it in time, and I am responding well to the blood thinning medication (heparin and warfarin). But, I'm still very tired, sleeping most of the day. The doctor says it will be 3-6 months until I'm off the medications ... I hope its not that long til I get my energy back!

So I'm just writing this note to let you all know that Thank God, I'm OK, and getting better. I'm sorry if I seemed out of sorts or didn't call or visit enough on my trip, but looking back I guess I really wasn't feeling well. I know many of you travel by air, and I just want to remind you to walk around and excercise your legs, and drink plenty of water especially if you are on a flight for more than 3 hours. Its my understanding that Pulmonary Embolisms are fatal in 30% of reported cases within 24 hours. So it is serious, so please take precautions.

No comments: